Main Article Content
Breast cancer, Meningioma, Extradural metastasis
Background: Breast cancer metastases to the central nervous system are more commonly multiple intracranial lesions. Rarely, in the case of single extradural metastasis, it is clinically and radiologically challenging and important to differentiate other solitary extradural masses such as meningioma. Moreover, according to the literature, it seems that there is a relationship between breast cancer and meningioma.
Case Presentation: We report a 54-year-old female presenting with a sudden onset of headache and seizure whose MRI showed an extra-axial intracranial mass in her brain. The patient underwent operative removal of the tumor with the clinical and radiologic diagnosis of meningioma. The pathological finding was suspected to be breast cancer metastasis. Future evaluation of her breast showed tissue distortion in the left breast and the pathologic diagnosis of the breast lesion was invasive ductal carcinoma. In a follow-up CT scan, there were multiple liver and lung metastases.
Conclusion: It is crucial for physicians with various specialties to be aware of different possibilities in the setting of a single extra-axial brain mass.
2. Cihan YB, Öztürk FF. Association of Carcinoma of the Breast and Meningioma: Report of a Case and Review of the Literature. Acta Oncologica Turcica. 2010;43(2):2-3.
3. Schoenberg BS, Christine BW, Whisnant JP. Nervous system neoplasms and primary malignancies of other sites. The unique association between meningiomas and breast cancer. Neurology. 1975;25(8):705-12.
4. Lin NU, Bellon JR, Winer EP. CNS metastases in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22(17):3608-17.
5. Tagle P, Villanueva P, Torrealba G, Huete I. Intracranial metastasis or meningioma? An uncommon clinical diagnostic dilemma. Surg Neurol. 2002;58(3-4):241-5.
6. Schmidt GW, Miller NR. Metastatic breast carcinoma mimicking basal skull meningioma. Clin Ophthalmol. 2007;1(3):343-6.
7. McCormack M, Rosa CS, Murphy M, Fox SB. HER2-positive breast cancer metastatic to intracranial meningioma: a case report. J Clin Pathol. 2013;66(7):633-4.
8. Sayegh ET, Burch EA, Henderson GA, Oh T, Bloch O, Parsa AT. Tumor-to-tumor metastasis: breast carcinoma to meningioma. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22(2):268-74.
9. Baratelli GM, Ciccaglioni B, Dainese E, Arnaboldi L. Metastasis of breast carcinoma to intracranial meningioma. J Neurosurg Sci. 2004;48(2):71-3.
10. Seckin H, Yigitkanli K, Ilhan O, Han U, Bavbek M. Breast carcinoma metastasis and meningioma. A case report. Surg Neurol. 2006;66(3):324-7; discussion 7.